Indian Institute of Petroleum established in 1960 is one of the chief integrant laboratories of the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR). The institution has devoted itself to multidisciplinary areas of research and development in the downstream sector of hydrocarbon and related industry. Boasting of its highly educated and dexterous staff, the university is also well equipped with R&D facilities including pilot plants. The institute is recognised by many prestigious Indian Universities to carry forward research in Doctorate degree in chemical science and engineering subjects.
IIP at a Glance
The Indian Institute of Petroleum is authorised for approval & certification of CNG vehicles portable gensets, emission measurement instruments and certification of engine oils for defence application. It conducts research and development programmes in the sphere of petroleum refining, natural gas, alternative fuels, petrochemicals utilisation of petroleum products in IC engines and in industrial and domestic combustion. The university also imparts technical and analytical services to petroleum refining and related industry, including technology transfer for developing novel, state-of-art technologies and products.
Programs in IIP, Dehradun
- PhD in Chemical Sciences : Master’s degree with JRF/ SRF
- PhD in Biological Sciences : Master’s degree with JRF/ SRF
- PhD in Chemical Engineering : Master’s degree with JRF/ SRF or BTech with valid GATE/ NET
Admission in IIP, Dehradun
After shortlisting of applications, test/ or interview will be conducted and final list of selected candidates for PhD program will be announced on this website.
Candidates can apply online for the above courses : Click Here to Apply Online
Technologies & Services
The Indian Institute of Petroleum has earned a reputation for introducing several world class technologies in the refining, catalysts, additives and related areas. Around 38 technologies having licensed capacity of around 28 million tonnes p.a. have been transferred to the industry. It won’t be wrong to say that every Indian refinery in the country has technologies licensed by the Indian Institute of Petroleum.
- Crude evaluation and physicochemical characterization of petroleum products
- Molecular level characterization of petroleum and related products
- Separation processes
- Catalyst and conversion processes
- IC engine studies including emissions and alternative fuels studies
- Industrial and domestic combustion
- Renewable Fuels & Lubricants
- Process development for petrochemicals and intermediates and for biocatalytic processes
- Development of additives and specialty chemicals for hydrocarbon sector
- Tribological studies
- Simulation, modelling and process design
How to reach Indian Institute of Petroleum in Dehradun
The campus of Indian Institute of Petroleum is located at Mokhampur in Dehradun. It is situated about 8 km away from Clock Tower Dehradun and around 251 km from Delhi. Luxury and regular buses to Dehradun can be easily available from ISBT Kashmiri Gate, Delhi. Taxi and local transport to reach IIP can be availed from Dehradun. The nearest railhead to IIP is Dehradun railway station at 7 km away. Jolly Grant airport at 22 km away is the closest air connectivity from here. Taxis to IIP can be easily available from the airport.