Established in 1966, the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) is a prominent Training and Educational Institute under Indian Space Research Organisation, Department of Space, Govt. of India. The institution is set up with a motive to develop trained professionals in the arena of Remote Sensing, Geoinformatics & GPS Technology for Natural Resources, Environmental & Disaster Management. Formerly known as the ‘Indian Photo-interpretation Institute’ (IPI), IIRS offers training and educational programmes to pace up with the various target groups, ranging from the fresh graduates to policy makers including academia
Aims & Objectives of IIRS
The Indian Institute of Remote Sensing aims at nurturing researchers and shaping professionals out of the scholars to bring laurels for the country. It works as a constituent Unit of India Space Research Organization (ISRO), Department of Space, Government of India. The institute houses the headquarters of the Centre of Space Science and Technology Education in Asia and The Pacific (CSSTEAP), affiliated to the United Nations.
Courses Offered by IIRS Dehradun
The Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) offers a variety of courses for the post graduate students like M. Tech., M.Sc., PG Diploma Courses, 2 months NNRMS sponsored courses for University Faculty, 2 weeks on demand Special Courses and 1 week duration Overview Course for Decision Makers. The university has imparted education and training to over 8000 alumni including 750 plus foreign trainees from 77 countries of Asia and Africa.
The Main Courses offered by Indian Institute of Remote Sensing can be categorized as:
- M.Tech in Remote Sensing and GIS (Mapping and Monitoring)
- Masters in Science awarded by ITC, Netherlands in Geoinformatics
- Post Graduate Diploma (10 months) in Agriculture & Soils, Forestry & Ecology, Geosciences, Marine Sciences, Human Settlement Analysis, Water Resources, Digital Photogrammetry, Geoinformatics, Geo Hazards
- Certificate Courses (4 month) in Basic Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing, GIS in Geosciences, Land Information System, GIS in Soils & Landuse Planning, GIS in Water Resources Management, GIS in Coastal Zone Management, GIS in Forest Management, Geo-Hazards
- Short Course on Remote Sensing with special emphasis on Digital Image
- Processing (ITEC Sponsored)
- Short Course on Geoinformatics (ITEC Sponsored)
How to reach Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS)
The campus of Indian Institute of Remote Sensing is located at Kalidas road in Dehradun. It is about 3 km from the city centre Clock Tower Dehradun and around 250 km from Delhi. The nearest railhead to IIRS is located at a distance of 5 km from Dehradun railway station. Jolly Grant airport at 31 km is the closest airport from here. Taxis to IIRS can be easily available from the airport.